Still Fighting with Spectrum
We’re still having problems with Spectrum (Time Warner Cable). They still don’t have solutions. We’re kind of at the point where we aren’t sure what to do anymore. For 2-3 days per week, our mail clients (personal, work-related, etc.) repeatedly fail to authenticate to outbound mail servers. In short, we can receive mail but we can’t send it.
As I wrote previously, we’ve consistently had service interruptions with Spectrum’s internet service. After three months or so of tolerating it (a 90-second outage several times per day is manageable for me from internet perspective, less so from a phone perspective when I’m on conference calls) we had a series of service calls in which they tried to figure out what the problem was. After replacing modems and lines didn’t do the trick, they gave me a new type of modem.
About this time, I started having service outages on a weekly basis that would last 2-3 days, and I’m unable to send email or connect to FTP servers. The problem appears to be my router, and potentially the public IP number of my router, which (according to Spectrum) is set by their modem. Removing the router from the setup eliminates the issue. Unfortunately, they can’t change the assigned IP even if they log in to the modem.
Replacing my current router (which is assigned a different IP number) with the one I had previously seems to alleviate the issue, but at a significant expense — the newer router gives me about 120 Mbs download whereas the older one is limited to a little over 7 Mbs.
Rather than shell out $120 on a new router (which, in theory, should get a new IP address), they gave me three options:
- Use a different router,
- Swap out my modem (driving an hour roundtrip into Cary) for a new one that (hopefully) would assign a new IP to the router, or
- Put up with it, as they don’t see it being their problem.
Since they said the problem is on my end — and again, I still think it’s on their end and specific to the IP of the router — they won’t issue a credit any longer for the days on which I have reduced service.
There are actually fourth, fifth and sixth options:
- Connect my own data modem and use their modem just for phone (I don’t really like the idea of having twice the hardware behind my computer),
- Ditch phone service (wasting the $120 I just spent on phones for the house after not having a landline for so long), or
- Cancel their service entirely and go with another provider, such as Ting (which, frankly, if I’m going to waste money on phones I can’t use, I’m less likely to stay with Spectrum, even if it means paying more money per month to Ting).
The suggestion that this isn’t a problem originating from their hardware is absurd. For context, here’s the timeline:
As you can see, the problems started when they installed a new brand/model of modem. You can’t convince me this isn’t related.
Of course, they pointed out, I could pay $5 per month and use their modem as a wireless router. Not that the suggestion is shady or anything.